In light of concerns over the spread of the Coronavirus, President Judge Charles H. Saylor has authorized the following actions to safeguard court and court-related personnel and members of the public against unreasonable health risks while maintaining accessibility to the courts:
- With the exception of preliminary hearings, arraignments, bail hearings, bench warrant hearings, extraditions, PFA hearings, and other emergency matters from March 17, 2020 until April 14, 2020, all criminal and civil trials, family court matters and Orphans Court proceedings, whenever possible, will be handled by telephone, video conference or continued to future date.
- Court employees will not be attending off-site conferences or trainings.
- Court events and meetings will be rescheduled or held via teleconference.
- Inmates will not be transported from the Northumberland County Jail for court proceedings. Incarcerated defendants will participate in court proceedings by video conference.
- All Magisterial District Justices have been asked to implement similar strategies to minimize public exposure. Members of the public who have matters scheduled before a MDJ should contact the MDJ office for further direction and guidance. Those individuals having to make payments to an MDJ are encouraged to make payments online via https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/PayOnline.aspx or via U.S. mail.